Friday, April 18, 2008

Birthday Protest


In March I celebrated my 60th birthday. This is a birthday that I had been dreading, I thought 60 is so old. My sister Margaret and her husband Bob came out to help celebrate. Little did I know that she and my husband and 3 kids were planning a surprise party for me. We were driving down our street and I couldn't figure out who all those people were in front of our home. We were having road work done on our street and I thought what a lot of workers. Then one by one I began to recognize the "road workers". They were family and friends ready to help me celebrate turning 60. As I got out of the car I began to see many familiar faces, although I had overlooked one in particular. Up came Becca who had flown in from California the day before. Of course as an old lady now I started cyring tears of surprise and joy. Once inside I found out they had everything set up for a 60's theme party, with lava lamps, peace signs and hippies.
I really felt so special with all of the work that had been done. My sister made me a quilt with old family pictures , and she also organized a quilt with squares made from friends and family.
It did my heart good to see our grown children get together and carry off such a big gathering.
I want to thank them for all the work they did. It made me feel very special on a day that I was dreading.
So I guess the question still is, "Is 60 old?" I know it is all relative. I've never been one to hide my age. I figured that lying about my age was saying to God that He didn't know what he was doing. In Psalm 139: 13-16, it says that all my days were ordained before one of them came to be. God planned for me to be born in March 1948. And yes some days I do feel "old", but that is the phase of life that I am in now. I want now to figure out what God wants me to do with the rest of my life.

3 comments:

The AB club said...

Mom,
I love the blog. FYI, if you center your words your formatting might work better.

Naomi Haverland said...

I'm so glad you're going to blog with us!! I'm glad you weren't angry about us crashing your house to throw you a party. And as far as being old... you're definately not old for a 60 year old- you're in great shape, you can still go camping, ride ATVs, and now you're blogging. You're the hippest 60 year old I know!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! Way to go mom. You have totally inspired me... maybe I have a blog by the time I'm 60!